Friday, May 31, 2013

Flashback Friday: The Kid

In 1994 I had just moved back to Washington after spending 2 years in California. It was spring time when me and my mom and dad moved back so baseball was about to start. Now, when I moved back I didn't know anyone and I didn't have any interests in anything so I was one of those shy kids. At the time of the move back to Washington spring training had started for the Mariners and at the time I was not into sports of any kind, but one day my grandma called me into the living room and she sat me down and turned onto the first Mariners game of the 1994 season. 

Now for the first three games I didn't show any interest in the team but the fourth game of the year changed my life forever. In the top of the fourth inning a young slugger by the name of Ken Griffey, Jr., stepped in and drove a deep drive for his first homerun of the season, when I saw that homerun hit with the sweetest swing in baseball I immediately fell in love not with just the Seattle Mariners but with Ken Griffey, Jr. Now, Griffey made me love the game of baseball even more in the top of the seventh inning by hitting another sweet swing homerun of the year. Unfortunately the Mariners lost the game 8-6 but I was instantly hooked on the team.

The 1994 baseball season was cut short due to the players strike but after that year I would become not just a fan of the Mariners but a fan of the Seattle Seahawks and the Seattle Supersonics. I had the privilege of watching my first Seahawks game with my grandmother as well and got to see them dominate the Washington Redskins 28-7! The Supersonics did the same thing to me in their first game as I got to watch both Gary Payton and Shawn Kemp beat the Utah Jazz 110-101. My love for sports grew so much in one year and every since 1994 I have not stopped loving the game of baseball, football, or basketball. 

1995 would see my love for the Mariners reach a new height, I watch the team go to their first playoff series in their franchise history but I also attended the team's home opener. That first game would be amazing for me being a 5 year old, when Griffey came up to the plate in the bottom of the fifth inning I cheered my loudest and told my dad that Griffey would hit his first homerun of the year and Jr., didn't disappoint as he hit a 3-run homerun to put the M's up 3-0 on the Detroit Tigers and Randy Johnson also dealt an incredible game throwing 6 innings of shutout baseball and striking out 8 batters.

The scare of my young life came in that game where Griffey raced to make one of the greatest catches of his career but on that play Griffey broke his left wrist and would be sidelined for 72 games. Once Griffey made his return the Mariners pulled together to make a late season surge to take their first American League West title. The 1995 Division Series was just as nerve racking as the season was but as a 5 year old you would think that I wouldn't pay much attention but your dead wrong, my eyes were glued to the screen and everything my grandmother did I did. Going into Game 3 we were worried that we would be swepted by the New York Yankees, but that would not be the case. The Mariners made sure that they would continue their new slogan "Refuse To Lose" and came back from a 2-0 deficit in the series and won the series to move on to their first American League Championship Series against the winningest team in baseball that year the Cleveland Indians. The Mariners would lose in 6 games.

The 95 season would see the Seahawks finish 8-8 but would see the Sonics go 66-14 and would lose in the NBA Finals in 6 games to the 72-10 Chicago Bulls.

Now the blog is named The Kid for a reason, because Ken Griffey, Jr., was the reason I got into sports. From 96-99 season I attended 100 games in the Kingdome and I also attended the final Kingdome game where Griffey would hit one more homerun in the beloved stadium. Griffey was not just a player to me, he was a God and he was then and still my favorite player and hero. When I played on a baseball team I made sure I was the first one to snatch up the number 24 and I continued to wear that number with every baseball team I played for. When Jr., was traded away to Cincinnati I was devastated and I wrote him a letter telling him he was the reason I watched Mariners baseball, and he actually wrote me back saying in the letter "I appreciate your letter and your interest in baseball. Because of the thousands of letters I receive each week, it is not possible to respond to each one personally. I am enclosing you a special baseball card, and hope that you enjoy following the Mariners and Major League Baseball. Best wishes from your hero Ken Griffey Jr." After I received that letter I told myself to not to continue loving the Mariners but to also following him as his career continued in Cincinnati.

The 2000 Mariners season saw Mike Cameron make plays that made me just love the Mariners still and the team made a great American League Wild Card champion run in the playoffs by sweeping the Chicago White Sox but falling to the Yankees in the ALCS. Griffey had a terrific 2000 batting .271 slugging out 40 homeruns and batting in 118 RBIs. Over the next 4 years would see Jr.'s superstardom decline as the injuries crept up on the aging superstar. 2004 would see Griffey hit his 500th homerun of his career on Father's Day. 2005 would see Griffey renew his career by hitting 35 homeruns and driving in 85 RBIs and winning the National League Comeback Player of the Year. 2006 would see Griffey play well again and he would play for Team USA in the first World Baseball Classic, as he batted .524 and hit 3 homeruns but the USA failed to make the semifinals, Griffey would make the All WBC Team and would finish tied for the most RBIs in the tournament with 10. 

The regular season Griffey would hit 27 homeruns and drive in 72 RBIs. After both the 2007 and 2008 season the Mariners announced the signing of Griffey and as I knew this day would come again I celebrated all night. I attended 18 games that year at Safeco Field and I was able to watch Griffey hit 8 homeruns in those 18 games, he would finish the year off 19 homeruns. The next year Griffey signed again with the team but it would turn out to be the worst season of his career as he would not hit any homeruns and batted a mediocre .184, in the middle of the season Griffey just left the state of Washington and announce that his career was done.

It was a sad day when my hero retired, I admit that I did cry knowing that I would not see that sweet swing anymore. Ken Griffey, Jr., was not just a player to me, he was an inspiration, he was a terrific athlete, he was my hero, and he is the reason that I have a great love of baseball and sports. If I never would've watched that one game in 1994 I don't think I would've never gotten into sports or have a love for the Seattle teams. So to Ken Griffey, Jr., I want to thank you for being that one inspiration I needed to develop such a love for the Seattle Mariners, the Seattle Seahawks, the Seattle SuperSonics, and for getting me involved in playing sports.

Thank you Jr., for everything that you have done for me. For making me fall in love with the game of baseball and for making me a Seattle Mariners fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

About Me
Im a huge Seattle sports nut. Thats basically about me. But im an upcoming blogger who writes only about the Mariners, Seahawks, Sounders, and when they come back the Sonics. Now if you would like me to write about something tweet me and i will write it. Now i should mark that im also Irish and have a beard that is feared above Brian Wilson's beard. His beard can kiss my beard's ass!