Sunday, April 27, 2014

Away with Almonte and welcome Carson Smith

Look I'm all for giving guys chances, but Abraham Almonte I believe is out of chances. Yes, I know its still April but Almonte has ticked me off and (I'm guessing) has ticked plenty of Mariner fans off with his inability to consistently get hits and especially of his strikeouts. Almonte reminds me of Richie Sexton, and I say that because if Almonte plays every game this year he's likely to not only break the Mariners strikeout record but probably the major league record for strikeouts in a season.

Now you're asking "who would the Mariners call up and who would be in CF?". I have the answer. Remember Carson Smith? Of course you dont. That's because he's spent his 3 year career moving up in the Mariners minor league system. Smith has gone from Single-A, to Double-A, to Triple-A in just three years. He's maintained consistency in his minor league career. He has saved 15 games in his first two years, had a 2.90 and a 1.80 ERA in those years, and now he's in Tacoma where he has saved 2 games and has a 3.18 ERA. Smith to me is ready for the big's and would give manager Lloyd McClendon an extra arm in the bullpen.

Now, getting onto the center fielder situation........remember how Michael Saunders used to play center? Yeah that's right Saunders played in center, also you do have Ackley who can move to center as well. But unfortunately Lloyd likes Almonte......and so we probably wont see this move happen. Which is really upsetting because playing favorites is not a smart way to manage a ball club. But again this is the smartest and really the only possible move that the Mariners could make if they decide to send Almonte down to Tacoma.

On another note, one other possible move the M's could make is to send Brad Miller down and to call Nick Franklin back up or possibly give the hot hitting Chris Taylor a call up. Doesn't matter who they call really, both Miller and Almonte need to go, because Lord knows we need a shortstop who can make plays and an outfielder who doesn't screw up from time to time and strikes out every game.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

About Me
Im a huge Seattle sports nut. Thats basically about me. But im an upcoming blogger who writes only about the Mariners, Seahawks, Sounders, and when they come back the Sonics. Now if you would like me to write about something tweet me and i will write it. Now i should mark that im also Irish and have a beard that is feared above Brian Wilson's beard. His beard can kiss my beard's ass!