Thursday, September 26, 2013

Why pay players this much?

Over the last 10 years has seen both the NFL and Major League Baseball have players sign enormous contracts that have been in the rage of between $18 and $20 million dollars a year for just one player. The most recognized contracts was Alex Rodriguez's 10 year $252 million dollar deal in 2001 with the Rangers, both Albert Pujols and Josh Hamilton's combined contract deals, and finally A-Roid's (whoops I mean A-Rod's) 10 year $272 million dollar deal with the Yankees in 2007. Right now Yankees second basemen Robinson Cano is looking for a 10 year deal, but here's the thing he wants $305 million dollars! Are you high? Look I understand you want to live the good life but that's too much damn money for one player!

The NFL has seen the same thing, right now the highest paid player in the NFL is Drew Brees who signed a 5 year $100 million dollar deal with the Saints. Now, if my math is correct (and I think it is) that means he's averaging $20 million dollars a year!

Look, I understand that both Robinson Cano and Drew Brees are great players but do you really need to pay them THAT much damn money? NO! Now, Felix Hernandez is getting paid $175 million dollars for seven years; yes Felix is the one of the best pitchers in baseball but again there's no need to pay him that much money. Back in the late 90s the highest paid player would be getting $10 million year or maybe a little more like Ken Griffey, Jr., but again that's still way too much. If you look at the Sounders roster (before Clint Dempsey signed with the team) the highest paid player was only making $1,600,000. Now see that's a reasonable contract to me, even though its in the millions.

To me I think most sports players play more for a bigger paycheck then the pride of playing for their team. If it was up to me players would only be allowed to get a maximum of $6-$8 million dollars. Yes, players would want more but here's the thing why should they be getting paid $200-$305 million dollars for 10 years? Just because your making that much money doesn't mean your going to play better it just means that your greedy. It irritates me that players want these big contracts, because its not about the money its about playing for your team and winning championships. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

About Me
Im a huge Seattle sports nut. Thats basically about me. But im an upcoming blogger who writes only about the Mariners, Seahawks, Sounders, and when they come back the Sonics. Now if you would like me to write about something tweet me and i will write it. Now i should mark that im also Irish and have a beard that is feared above Brian Wilson's beard. His beard can kiss my beard's ass!