Monday, July 1, 2013

Why have a Big 3?

Well, its my third day in Alaska and I turned to ESPN Radio and I had to endure listening to how Dwight Howard wants out of Los Angeles. It makes me laugh because ever since Lebron James, Dwayne Wade, and Chris Bosh got together to make up the Big 3 in Miami all NBA teams have been trying to get their own Big 3. Why bother? I mean it makes me laugh even harder that Los Angeles crashed and burned horribly with getting Howard, Steve Nash and Kobe for their Big 3. Their season began with them going 0-8 preseason and then started the regular season 1-4, following that head coach Mike Brown was fired after only 5 games and Mike D'Antoni replaced him as the full time head coach. Even though the Lakers made the playoffs the Big 3 didn't produce as well as LA fans hoped for. Nash, Howard, and Bryant all went down with injuries including Bryant's season ending Achilles tendon rupture.

Now, this list I'm posting is my Top 5 Big 3 in the NBA
5) Boston Celtics- Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett and Rajon Rondo
4) Indiana Pacers- Roy Hibbert, Paul George, and George Hill
3) Los Angeles Clippers- Chris Paul, Blake Griffin, and DeAndre Jordan
2) New York Knicks- Carmelo Anthony, Amar'e Stoudemire, and J.R. Smith
1) Miami Heat- Lebron James, Dwayne Wade, and Chris Bosh

Now, this list doesn't have the Lakers on it. Why? Because right now Howard isn't on the Lakers and might now be on the Lakers this upcoming season. Also the Lakers Big 3 didn't play as well as I thought they would and I would rank them at #6. Now to tell you the truth I really don't think its a good idea that teams go out and get their own Big 3. I say that because if you pay three guys $20+ million dollars a year its going to eat up a lot of the salary cap and that prevents you from signing other good players. Now, the Miami Heat this year are an example of making the most of the remaining salary cap as they signed Ray Allen, Rashard Lewis, and signed Chris "Birdman" Anderson and won their second consecutive NBA Championship.

Now I can name a few teams that didn't have just a Big 3 but a whole team around one or two big stars. The Chicago Bulls won 6 championships with Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen, Steve Kerr, Dennis Rodman, B.J. Armstrong, Ron Harper, Toni Kukoc, Luc Longley, Bill Cartwright, Will Perdue, Horace Grant, John Paxson, Craig Hodges, and Cliff Levingston. The 1995-96 Seattle Supersonics had Gary Payton, Shawn Kemp, Nate McMillan, Detlef Schrempf, and Hershey Hawkins. There are plenty of other teams that didn't need a Big 3 to make the Finals or win championships. The point is that teams need to focus more on getting the better players and more on signing as many good players they can get for cheap change.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

About Me
Im a huge Seattle sports nut. Thats basically about me. But im an upcoming blogger who writes only about the Mariners, Seahawks, Sounders, and when they come back the Sonics. Now if you would like me to write about something tweet me and i will write it. Now i should mark that im also Irish and have a beard that is feared above Brian Wilson's beard. His beard can kiss my beard's ass!