Monday, April 29, 2013

Felix win's it for a fallen friend

I know I'm late on this blog but bare with me, Saturday was a tough day for me. I attend the funeral of a fallen friend of mine who was taken from me and the people who loved him. During the funeral both his mother and father had amazing words to say about Mike. They told us stories about how he loved everyone who was in his life and he was a great American solider that was taken from his friends and family too soon. 

At about 20 minutes before the service was over they showed a slideshow of pictures of Mike of his life during the slideshow I tried to hold everything together but when a picture of Mike and myself appeared when we played baseball during our senior year that is when everything just pored out. 

I couldn't hold it together and i thought i would cry loudly but i held myself together and after the service i hugged his twin brother Steven and said "its going to be tough but he is with God and is being taken care of", during that emotional hug Steve managed to make me laugh in the way Mike would make me laugh by saying "you know Mike would be laughing at both of us right now cause were crying like a bunch of big babies". 

That was Mike a guy who could make you laugh when you were feeling like shit and a man that you could trust with your life. I can honestly say that Mike Lowery was one of my best fierce friends that i ever knew and everyday ill miss him until the day we meet again in heaven.

After the funeral i made my way back home and as soon as i got home i immediatly took to the social media. I sent to tweet to the Mariners asking if they would ask Felix Hernandez (@RealKingFelix) if he would dedicate his pitching performance to Mike. I sent that tweet because both times when Mike was over in Iraq and in Afghanistan, when he got the time he always asked me how the Mariners and the Seahawks were doing and whenever i would tell him that Felix pitched I think he would get even more excited as he always loved to know how the best pitcher in baseball did. T

he day of Felix's perfect game i sent him a message telling him that Felix had made history and threw a perfect game against the Rays. It took him 3 days to see my message and as soon as he saw that message he responded to me by saying "NO FUCKING WAY! Thats awesome! I really wish i couldve seen that shit go down! Thanks for telling me Mike always appreciate updates from you". 

2 hours after the funeral i attended a gathering at Mike's mothers house for a celebration of his life and an hour before i left i recieved a DM on Twitter. When i opened the DM i just about fell down and cried, it was Felix, and he had said that he would dedicate tonight's performance to Mike and that he would guarentee a win in the process. 

That night i watched the game with Mike's family and friends as i told them what Felix had told me and they were watching every pitch. Felix's first were both easy enough but in the top of the 3rd inning Chris Iannetta lead off the inning by homering to left field and then later in the inning Mike Trout drove in another run with a sacrifice fly and the Angels took a 2-0 lead. Felix shut down the Halos for the rest of his night and in the bottom of the 6th inning Raul Ibanez lead off with a walk and then Jesus Montero crush one to center field and tied the game up at 2-2 and then in the bottom of the 7th inning is where the magic came into play. 

Both Kyle Seager and Mike Morse lead off with singles and the M's started off the inning well and after Justin Smoak struckout Kendrys Morales came through and singled home what would be the go-ahead run for the Mariners and giving them the 3-2 lead. 

Felix threw 8 strong and terrific innings as Tom Wilhelmsen came into the top of the 9th to close out an emotional game for me watching. Wilhelmsen got the job done as soon as that third out was recorded i broke down and cried for 2 minutes as Felix kept his promise, he had thrown an amazing game for Mike and had giving him a win as well. About an hour after the game when i got home from the celebration i had recieved another DM from Felix saying "This one was for your bud Mike. My he rest in peace with God and i will pray for him and his family every day". 

Felix is an incredible man. He cares so much about the city of Seattle and the M's fans that he went out on the mound and pitched in memory of someone who only cheer for him but never met in person. He promised me that the team would win and he kept his promise, this game was not only one of the best game's i have watched all year but it was also the hardest game. I say that because I know Mike wouldve loved to have seen this game in person. 

As I have said and so many others to me Mike will be missed, he is no longer suffering and is in God's pressence now and will be watching over each and everyone of his friends and family until the day we all see him in heaven. I want to thank Felix Hernandez for pitching for Mike on Saturday and for making me love baseball even more. 

This was the first time i have ever cried after a Seattle Mariners win, but they werent tears of sorrow or anger they were tears of happiness and joy. Mike this game was for you.

RIP Mike Lowery May 30,1990-April 9,2013

4 comments:

  1. Well said and thank you very much..Love you Christi...

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, well said. thank you McDonnel (as Mike called you :)We will keep him in our hearts til we meet up with him again. the Grama

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great thing for you & Felix to do in Mike's name! That is a great story

    ReplyDelete
  4. Far out. Much love for King Felix for his dedicated win that day. Blessings on those who Mike cared for and left behind. Remember the good times, man. Moments are all we really have; that's why they mean so much.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

About Me
Im a huge Seattle sports nut. Thats basically about me. But im an upcoming blogger who writes only about the Mariners, Seahawks, Sounders, and when they come back the Sonics. Now if you would like me to write about something tweet me and i will write it. Now i should mark that im also Irish and have a beard that is feared above Brian Wilson's beard. His beard can kiss my beard's ass!